Although this is not a definitive guide, here's the process we used that proved very through and successful.
- Start with 30-minute interview and portfolio review
- If I see potential, invite back for longer interview
- Second interview is more in-depth, character and behavior-oriented questions and discussion. This time my partner sat in on the interview. This gives us both a good gut instinct reaction, and I now realize the opinion of my partner is as critical (or more) than mine. A longer interview allows time for the candidate to relax, and ask us questions as well.
- Invite back qualified candidate for staff interviews.
- Check references
- Background check
- DISC behavioral profile
- Review background check and DISC against interviews. If gut instinct (likability factor, interviews and checks) don't raise any flags, make offer.